Monday, January 15, 2007

Corn and Crabmeat Soup (From The Soup Bible)

Before I begin, here are some photos of my kitchen clean. And yes, that is a kitchen witch.










A Warming Winter Soup


Ingredients
Serves 4

4 ounces crabmeat (I used a 6 ounce can)
½ teaspoon minced fresh ginger root (I forgot the ginger root and used ground ginger instead, only I used ½ tablespoon by mistake)
2 tablespoons milk (I used light soymilk)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 egg whites
2 ½ cups vegetable stock (I used 2 ½ vegetable bullion cubes with 2 ½ cups of water)
8-ounce can of creamed corn (I forgot the can, so I used 8 ounces of frozen corn)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
chopped scallions, to garnish

1. Flake the crabmeat and mix it with the ginger in a bowl. In another bowl, stir the milk and cornstarch together until smooth.
2. Beat the egg whites until frothy, add the milk and cornstarch mixture, and beat again until smooth. Blend with crabmeat. (I used a whisk rather than actually beating the mixture. Or is using a whisk the same as beating?)
3. In a wok or saucepan, bring the vegetable stock to a boil. Add the creamed corn and return to a boil.



4. Stir in the crabmeat and egg white mixture, adjust the seasoning, and stir slowly until well blended. Serve garnished with chopped scallions.



Note: I paired it with Thai spring rolls and green tea to complete the meal.




The recipe claims it’s easy, and it’s true. It took me about 15 minutes from start to finish. I wish I could say that my first attempt at this recipe (and the blog) was successful, but that’s a lie. I totally screwed up with the ginger (which as it turns out I hate), so the soup was ginger-heavy and almost unbearable to eat. I added some milk (which I should have added 8 ounces of it to replace the creamed corn along with a tablespoon of flour) in attempt to dilute the ginger. It did not really work, but I did learn that supposedly potatoes dilute ginger, so tomorrow I’ll add potato to it to try and salvage it.

And clean up took me three minutes. Seriously. But since Sharona begged to see the chaos:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sassers says:
I love you. I love your wicked good cooking, and its' blog.