Saturday, January 20, 2007

Citrus Roasted Game Hens

Hey there Domestic goddesses!

Just wanted to submit my favorite Game Hen recipe- I make these little guys all the time- this one comes from my own recipe. Great thing to make when it's cold outside or you want to make something that tastes really fancy but is easy to make.

I created this recipe one day when I had nothing in my house except some frozen hens in the freezer and some leftover limes/lemons from a weekend of too many cocktails.... I'm lucky I happened to have lemons and limes that day, as the second option was olive and vodka stuffed hens- which most likely would have gone into the trash and not ended up on this blog. :)

Pete loved them, so they became a regular part of my recipes.

I'll submit some photos of my kitchen too one day. -Jenna

Citrus Roasted Game Hens

Ingredients:
2 Cornish Hens
2 oranges
2 lemons
1 lime (optional)
Seasoned salt ( I have a great recipe for this- I'll submit later)
Honey
olive oil


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse hens and remove yucky bag of nastiness inside hen. Salt inside of hens lightly with seasoning and set aside.

Lightly spray glass baking dish with cooking spray.

Wash lemons, limes and orages, cut into small wedges, leaving the peel on all fruits. Mix up fruit wedges together in a bowl.

Stuff hens with citrus mixture, setting extra fruit aside for roasting.

Baste hens with oilve oil, dust with seasoned salt and place in baking dish breast side down.

Add extra citrus fruit around hens in dish. Drizzle the hens and fruit with honey. The honey helps offset some of the tartness of the fruit and also gives the hens a nice crispy skin.

Bake for 1 hour uncovered in oven or until internal temp reaches 180. Baste frequestly with juices from the pan. The citrus will continue to produce more juice as you bake the hens.

Serve with citrus inside hens, the juice from the dish also makes a delicious light citrusy gravy.

Enjoy!

No comments: