Thursday, January 18, 2007

apple nut muffin cake

Although this isn't my grandmother's apple cake, which is the old vegetable oil standard, it's still quite lovely. Almost virtuous, with all its fruit and nut bits. My boyfriend's dad, who does not have much of a sweet tooth, gives it a solid thumbs-up. I like its unorthodox mixing technique, and how homey it is. The recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours.

Apple Nut Muffin Cake

1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup apple juice or apple cider or milk (I used more milk)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup oats
1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and diced (I used two)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans leftover from a pie)
1/3 cup raisins

Oven at 400.
Grease and flour an 8 inch baking pan (I used floured Pam, which someone just bought for me).
Whisk together milk, cider/juice, egg, vanilla, almond and butter.
In another bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
Add brown sugar to dry ingredients; get lumps out with fingers.
Add oats to dry ingredients; stir.
Stir the liquids into the dry stuff, using a big rubber spatula.
Don't mix too too much! Like muffins, this cake likes less mixing. Lumps are fine.
Stir in apple, nuts and raisins.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
After it cools for a bit, you can hatch it out of the pan if you'd like. With the floured Pam, my cake practically jumped out of the pan on its own!

Very nice still warm, but also nice the next day for breakfast, toasted with butter.

No comments: